Saturday, June 16, 2007

Father's Day 2007

Tomorrow is Father's Day. I have to admit that on Mother's Day 2007, I went all out and purchased a cool present that I knew my mom would love. And she did love it. It was a Pudge Rodriguez 8-inch bobblehead. She takes in to Bingo nights now, just for luck (and to show off). It was Thursday this week that I remembered I needed to send off a Father's Day present. So, already it was late. I was going to mail it off today, but I forgot. I'll call tomorrow and wish my dad a happy Father's Day, and I'll tell him his present is on the way, but I think I follow the national average on this. People care more about Mother's Day that Father's Day. I think there was a recent poll to confirm this.
Know what, though? I've got the answer to all of the punditry questions. The reason this happens is that dads don't really care. And I'm a dad myself, so I know it at least reflects my own views. Oh, it's wonderful to get a Father's Day card, and even better a present. I enjoy it, I really do. And don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the thoughts. But if I get nothing? No, it doesn't ruin my day. I would hardly give it a second thought. I think it means more to moms, and that's why people generally treat Mother's Day with more respect than Father's Day.
But, given that, I'd still like to wish all of the fathers out there -- Happy Father's Day!
~ Doug

No comments: